Friday, September 24, 2010

Woman Told the Only Way She'll Ever Get a Job is if She Put a Bag Over Her Face


A British woman with 20 piercing and 30 tattoos was told by a job counsellor that the only way she was ever going to find a job, was if she went to the job interview with a paper bag over her face. Harsh.
Hayley O'Neil, 23, - who also has 20 body piercings - says was also advised to "stand behind a wall" when she asked a job centre official what post she could apply for. She eventually left the Job Centre Plus centre in Blackburn Lancs in tears without any interviews lined up after the advisor concluded: "Who would hire you looking like that?" Miss O'Neil, who got her first tattoo from her mother as an 18th birthday present said: "I just felt so humiliated. I couldn't believe what this guy was saying. I said I could take the piercings out but they look a lot worse when they are out. The guy said: 'on first impressions do you think anyone would hire you?' He said: 'look at it this way if you were to stand behind a wall - or put a paper bag over your face do you think you would have a better chance?' He then backtracked and tried to say that he was sorry and hoped I wasn't offended but I was. He talked to me as though I was just going through a phase in my life, but this is my lifestyle choice, and this is who I am."
The agency denied any inappropriate remarks had been made during the interview.


source
Share this post
  • Share to Facebook
  • Share to Twitter
  • Share to Google+
  • Share to Stumble Upon
  • Share to Evernote
  • Share to Blogger
  • Share to Email
  • Share to Yahoo Messenger
  • More...

0 comments:

Post a Comment