Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Serena Williams on Crying After Wimbledon Win: 'I've Been Through A Lot of Things That's Not Normal, Things You Guys Don't Even Know About'

It's been a year since tennis star Serena Williams played the sport she loves and after defeating Aravane Rezai in her Wimbledon opener today, the 29-year-old was overcome with emotions and tears began to flow. She later told the BCC she was just glad to be back after a "disaster year". “I usually don't cry, I don't understand it," she said. "It's been so hard, I never dreamt I'd be here. I just wanted to win at least one match here....It's been so hard and has been a disaster year. To be able to come back at Wimbledon is pretty awesome....It definitely hit me at the end of the match. I'm not a cryer, so I don't know. I think it was something in my eyes at one point. It definitely was so emotional for me because, you know, throughout the last 12 months, I've been through, you know, a lot of things that's not normal, things you guys don't even know about. So it's just been a long, arduous road. To stand up still is pretty awesome.' Serena's drama began last July when she cut her foot on broken glass in an unnamed restaurant in Munich, Germany. Since then she's had at least 18 stitches and surgery on a lacerated tendon and she suffered from pulmonary embolism and remains on blood thinners. And earlier this year, a man who stalked her by following her every move on Twitter, was arrested. In an interview last week, she admitted that the blood clots had left her "on her deathbed". But despite her injury, Serena refused to blame the owners of the eatery or pursue legal action against them.

Asked if she held the restaurant culpable, she replied: “No. At the end of the day, they can't do anything for me. I can't do anything for them. There's absolutely nothing that can be done. I don't really dwell on the past. What can I do? What can they do?” Claiming that she did not know the name of the eatery she added: “Honestly, I don't know the name. I can tell you, I've never been like that. I've never been like a greedy person. I've been sued before. It was a terrible feeling. I would never want to put anyone through that. It was what it was.” She previously admitted to suffering from depression and says she draws her strength to cope from God: “You know, I really was really trying to draw spiritually on my God Jehovah who I've really been trying to get a closer relationship to. I've been doing so much just to try to appreciate every moment. When things happen, you appreciate people that are around you or people that may not be around you. It's eye opening as well as it makes you really tough, I think.” We cosign.



source

Share this post
  • Share to Facebook
  • Share to Twitter
  • Share to Google+
  • Share to Stumble Upon
  • Share to Evernote
  • Share to Blogger
  • Share to Email
  • Share to Yahoo Messenger
  • More...

0 comments:

Post a Comment